Sunday, February 7, 2010

Is it ok/safe to own pet rodents and pet snakes in the same household?

I have pet rats and I have been really considering getting a rosy boa lately, which is a small snake. I was wondering if it would be a good idea? I mean, obviously I am ok feeding frozen feeder rodents.. And I know that I have to be extra careful about escapes. But I am worried that the snake would get stressed from constantly smelling food? Bite me constantly from smelling food on me? Rats would freak out due to ';prey senses';? Anyone have any experience with this?Is it ok/safe to own pet rodents and pet snakes in the same household?
You should be fine, just make sure to use clamps on the cage top, snakes are notorious for escaping (I've lost several over the years). If you feed it rats, then yes, you will be at risk for being bitten if you have the scent on you. I'd suggest using tongs to lower the rat in so they don't associate your hand with meal time.Is it ok/safe to own pet rodents and pet snakes in the same household?
always wash your hands before handling the snake too. i used to breed my own mice for my snake.
it would be ok to do...i used to raise mice. just keep the rat in another room and all should be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment