Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can cats and rodents live together without the latter being eaten?

We have two cats (2 and 1 and a half) and would like a rodent. Hamsters are out because they're too small and would definitely be killed, but I wondered if a guinea pig would be suitable, as they are larger and more threatening.Can cats and rodents live together without the latter being eaten?
probably not, and you're right, hamsters are too small (i know because mine was killed.) unless of course you have the cage up on a table and TEST how they react to each other.


also, keep them in a room where you can close the door when you're not around.


HOPE I HELPED!Can cats and rodents live together without the latter being eaten?
listen....





if it is not a dog...it's dead!





i have a cat...


it's brought home everything from mice to rabbits....!
No, my cat even kills small rabbits and my cat is actually smaller than most cats her age!
Yes, depending on the age of the cat. I had two cats with two rats at the same time. I would give equal attention and play with them at the same time. All of them loved yogurt and that was used as their treat at the end of play time. However, for safety sake...always keep an eye on them at all times when out and about with you.
you can train the cats to stay away from the rodents with a squirt bottle. cavys are best kept in pairs so take into account how much space you have available to them.
I think it would be fine to have them together but make sure the rodent is kept in a cage when you are not around. I have 2 cats and 3 mice that my 3 yr old son hold all the time the cats never seem to bother the mice but i am sure they would if we didn't keep an eye on them. hope this helped.
U could say I have a zoo, some like to think of it that way, but its really not. When my kids were little they wanted hamster, cats %26amp; dogs and a goat. Well we still have them the hamster and the cat play, the cat was a little kitten when I introduced them to the hamster, I would put him in the bed with the babies, when they grew older they didnt think anything about the hamster. as for the dogs the also have been around since they were born and they also get along just fine. but the goat and the dog are ok but he hates the cats, not sure why but harry runs away from all 6 cats . 6 cats , 4 kitten (3 weeks old) 1 goat, 2 small dogs 1 very large dog, and 4 hamsters and 3 birds, 1 lizzard named lizzy. i live on a farm in oz.
sorry I just had to reply because I coudln't help but laugh when I read guinea pigs were ';larger and more threatening';! have a star!


and as for the question, I think cats just like to play with creatures smaller than themselves, I suppose if you kept them apart (keep the guinea pig in it's cage when the cat is in the house) then you should be ok! hope that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment