Friday, February 12, 2010

How do cats react to rodents?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS IF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCED LIVING WITH BOTH CATS AND RODENTS!





I am wondering how your cats and rodents (rats, hamsters, gerbils...)reacted with each other. I know all cats are different with rodents. If you cat likes to catch animals, how did you keep your little rodent pets safe?How do cats react to rodents?
I have two cats (Sid and Beziman) and two rats (Mercutio and Wolverine).





Sid couldn't care less about the rats. He's an old cat and was around when we had hamsters years ago. He loved watching the turkeys and squirrels in our yard when he was young, but he's lazy now. When I got Mercutio and his late brother Santa Fe, Sid glanced at them, sniffed the cage, and hasn't cared since.





Beziman is young and is an avid squirrel-watcher. When I got the rats, he was terrified. It was hilarious. His entire coat was puffed up and he fled. It was a little awhile before he'd enter the room. By now, he's gotten pretty cocky. I have no idea what he'd do to the rat if he caught one, though. Sometimes he sits and watches with his tail flicking and his eyes very wide and fixated. Other times he focuses on me and asks for cuddles.





I just keep them separated, though. The cats are only allowed in the room if I'm in there and the rats are safely locked in their cages. I bring the rats downstairs, out of their cages, every day. If they're in my hood, I'm not concerned because I can very easily keep them safe. If they're playing on the couch, I just keep an eye out for Beziman. He can be in the room, but he can't be on the couch. If he approaches, I just block him from coming up. A water bottle that squirts also works.How do cats react to rodents?
i have 3 cats and 2 fancy mice. the mice are in a cage next to my computer. all my cats do is sit on top of the cage and watch the mice. the cage fell over one day and the mice got out i found them both unharmed. i think if the cats are accustomed to the mice then they won't bother them. i went to the store one day and came back to find a little mouse in my kitchen and my cats didn't even try to go after it. (this was a few weeks after i got my mice) so either my cats are really weird or know that the mice are apart of the household.
It honestly depends on your cat.


I know people whose cats have killed their rats.


BUT I know of people whose cats get along with rodents.


If you cat is older and likes to catch animals, just don't allow the cat in the same room as the rats and make sure they don't escape, or run around unsupervised.
I have a cat and 2 hamsters - All i do is keep the rodents in my room and keep the door closed. Then they can't encounter eachother, will they?
I'll put it this way, If you have a cat you won't have rats. If your question is about being friend? No way! Keep the rodents in a cage!
It is VERY dangerous for cats and rodents to be together. I would say you are going to need to keep your little rodent friends far away from your feline friends!


Hope this helps!:)
my cats got along with our bunny and some of our birds.. here is a picture...


http://www.picable.com/Nature/Cats/Cat-a鈥?/a>





our cats DO hunt mice though..
obviessly they eat them

No comments:

Post a Comment