Friday, February 12, 2010

What are ';elderly'; rodents, rats to be exact, like?

Right now I have a cartoon image going through my head of a grey rat with a beard that has trouble getting around. I know better, but for some reason the cartoon is dominating my mind presently. =|


I mean, when my rat is nearing it's last month or so, will it be evident? I feel really silly for asking, but is there anything special it'll need then?What are ';elderly'; rodents, rats to be exact, like?
My fiance and I have had many rats come and go adn to be honest it seems like most of them ended up with some sort of reason for dying (mycro flare up that scarred the lungs, tumor ect.). With one in particular she started slowing down the older she got, the males seem to be more laid back then females (so far) and her fur did seems to have a bit of grey in it (more than her normal color). The best sign of a rat nearing the end is it's health (especially if your rat ever stops eating and drinking then there is something goign on, hoepfully long before then there will ahve been signs of illness by that point so you maybe able to treat it). When our rats get older we tend to spoil them a bit more than usual (I guess because we want them to have all the treats they can before going). Def a good diet is a must and tons of care/love (sounds corny but hey we all need it ayes). Please don't feel silly for asking your not at all =D


Take care and have a great Thanksgiving, also if you have any questions or need info check out ratfanclub.org Debbie is really amazing when it comes to rats (she even has her number and email addy so you can send questions to her). Take care =DWhat are ';elderly'; rodents, rats to be exact, like?
my special boy has lost a lot of his hair so looks a bit strange but still fairly active. My special pet ';chicken'; became a little thin so had to be encouraged to eat. They are prone to lumpy growths. Probably need to be put to sleep when this happens as just too expensive to operate. Good luck you do have 4 to 5 years of great fun and activity just watch the weights. Big boys can weigh over 300gms. Girls are smaller. I weigh them on the kitchen electronic scales as this gives you an idea of how they are doing. However just feeling them will soon tell you if they are over or under. Hopefully you have a friend for your pet of the same sex. They do remain tame even with 2 in fact they will vie for your attention and the characters are oh so different. One of mine I can play fight with and he pretends to bite the other just comes running to me for protection and treats. With the two I don't feel so guilty when I have not got the time to play as they play together.
well obviously it will vary between rats but basically theyll become pretty inactive and not eat much and if possible you should try to get a single story cage to make sure they dont try to climb and end up falling or something.


how old is your rat btw? you said 'when my rat' and unless its already getting old you really need to get it a friend, they shouldnt be kept alone!
They slow down some, to my experience, they don't turn 'grey'





It will be evident.





You will want to 'spoil' them even more :)
A walking stick and maybe a wheelchair.
it will age just like a cat or a dog... you will know shes getting old.
no nothing
well, they will look a lot older..


bigger..


slower..
  • ShangHai JiLu Textile Co Ltd
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment