Friday, February 12, 2010

Any small rodents that are good for allergies?

My niece really wants a hamster for her birthday but she has asthma pretty bad and my sister [her mom] is afraid that she the shavings or the pet itself may bother her asthma.





Is there any allergy friendly small rodents [other than birds, fish, or rats] that are okay for kids with asthma?





Thanks!!!!





~~Any small rodents that are good for allergies?
I would suggest a Land Hermit Crab! They don't smell at all! But if you do get some kind of pet, i would suggest getting them from a family owned pet store..





http://www.wikihow.com/Care-for-Hermit-CrabsAny small rodents that are good for allergies?
Maybe. I have asthma and I had 2 rabbits. I used to keep them in the hallway, then the living room. I had no problems. After moving them into my room, I had horrible breathing problems. I went to the doctor and my blood oxygen level was at 84% (at 89% people are put on oxygen tanks). I couldn't put them back in the living room, so I had to give my rabbits away. A year later, I was watching my sister's pet rat and the problem came back, and the rat was only around for a few days.


If she really wants a small pet, she may be able to get one. They would have to get a dust-free bedding like CareFresh or a recycled newspaper litter, not wood shavings. I would suggest not getting an animal that requires hay like a rabbit or guinea pig. Also, don't keep the pet in her bedroom. Maybe you should find out if a friend of hers has a pet hamster and ask if you can have it come over for a week or so and see how she does.

No comments:

Post a Comment