Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do you train kittens to kill mice/rodents?

I was thinking of getting a cat for companionship, and frankly pest control. I have a long term rodent problem that I've tried everything to GET RID off but to no avail. I was told that the smell of cats would scare off mice and that you can train them to hunt mice. How do I do this? Has anyone had success?How do you train kittens to kill mice/rodents?
Train a cat to kill; surely, you jest. Cats do that instinctively. The first day that I let my first cat out she wasn't gone for more than 1/2 an hour before I saw her pouncing on a mouse. And it took her all of 5 minutes to figure out that she could eat the darned thing whether it was alive or not.





I have two outdoor cats; they haven't eaten cat food since April and all I did was watch.How do you train kittens to kill mice/rodents?
You can't really train them to hunt. Some cats are natural hunters, others aren't. However kittens aren't going to be any help at all - if you want a mouser, get an adult cat who's already shown an interest in mousing.





I trust you have the financial and emotional resources for taking care of an animal? A cat is going to be a much bigger monetary investment than just hiring an exterminator.
Many people think that cats catch mice is instinct, there is no need of training. But I know so much examples:cats often are feed lots of good food, ham, cat food, etc., and many cats will not kill mice and even some cats will be afraid of them. Therefore, I think training is necessary. Do not let the cat eat too much, so then will try to find food themselves.


I hope useful for you.
I don't know about ';training'; cats to hunt mice. It's instinct for them. You can encourage it by giving treats and praising them when they bring you mice.
its an instinct that the cats have you dont have to teach them. if you get one it will kill them without you telling them to.
they do that on their own. it is their instinct to do so. if your cat does not, there is nothing you can do.
cats hunt mice for fun. you shouldn't have to train them to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment